In the early centuries of the Church, congregations would gather together at Easter for the rite of initiation administered by the bishop. There was something – there is something – about sharing those significant and transformative moments with the rest of the Church.
As such, we offer opportunities in multiple locations around the diocese to celebrate together the rites of Holy Baptism and Confirmation, Reception or Reaffirmation. The renewal of our commitment as followers of Jesus is no small thing. “Renew in these your servants the covenant you made with them at their Baptism,” the bishop prays. “Send them forth in the power of the Spirit to perfrom the service you set before them….Let your Holy Spirit be with them; and so lead them in the knowledge and obedience of your Word, that they may serve you in this life, and dwell with you in the life to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Saturday, April 22 at St. Paul’s, Dayton
Saturday, May 6 at St. Anne’s, West Chester
Saturday, June 17 at Good Shepherd, Athens
Saturday, June 24 at All Saints, New Albany
We hope this Easter season that many throughout the diocese will take advantage of these opportunities to be blessed by one another’s presence and support that extend beyond our own local communities of faith..
Please use the online registration form if you plan to present people from your congregation or community of faith for Baptism, Confirmation, Reception or Reaffirmation at one of the Eastertide Area Confirmations. Registrations should be submitted two weeks prior to the date of the celebration so host congregations may plan appropriately.
For questions or for more information, contact Ann Sabo, Executive Assistant to Bishop Breidenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.582.1712 ext. 103.
Expectations and guidelines
Below are some guidelines as you prepare for your confirmation, reception or reaffirmation:
1) Bishop Breidenthal would like to meet with those being confirmed, received or reaffirmed prior to the service. Please arrive at the church early enough to be ready to meet with him 45 minutes prior to the service that day.
2) Each host congregation will have people assigned to assist you and direct you to where you need to be.
3) The Bishop will be laying his hands on your head for Confirmation. Please place your name tag in a place clearly visible to the bishop.
4) Please make yourself available to the clergy in charge for on-site instructions after you meet with the bishop prior to the service.
5) You will be given a certificate signed by the bishop for your records. Feel free to bring a Prayer Book or some other book you may wish to have the Bishop sign. This can be done when you meet with him prior to the service.
6) Photographs may be taken prior to or following the service.
There will be familiar faces there with you as well as others who will join their voices in affirmation of what the Holy Spirit is doing in your life and in the life of the Church. Please know that during the Easter season the Bishop, diocesan staff and others throughout the diocese are praying for those of you who will be confirmed or received. It is a joyous time for us all!
If you have questions about service logistics, please contact the church where you will be confirmed.