We are at a moment as a church and a culture when questions raised in the Book of Exodus are prominent. What does it mean to be a stranger in a strange land? What does it mean to leave behind all the things we thought we knew? What does it mean to see our communities change? As such, we are inviting everyone in the diocese to come together to read the Book of Exodus from August 27 to April 7, 2018.
Here’s how it works: The Exodus ‘Big Read’ will launch on Sunday, August 27. On that day, readings from Exodus appear in the lectionary, and we’re asking that every preacher in the diocese will preach about Exodus for the launch. Over the course of the next seven months, our hope is that every individual in the diocese will read the book of Exodus and at least one supplementary book to help with understanding. We would like to see every parish hold at least three adult forums about the Book of Exodus, and we’ll be providing short, online courses to use for these forums. Plus, we’re asking that fifteen minutes be set aside for the study of Exodus every time a vestry, committee, or commission meets. Finally, we’re hoping that you will come to any or all of the four Exodus-themed events that we’ll be holding in the diocese.
Here’s what you need to know in order to make all of that happen. You can find Exodus materials online at our Big Read website: AdsoBigRead.org. Here are some of the resources that you’ll be able to access there:
1. Reading schedules to guide individual study.
2. Descriptions of the three supplementary texts we’re recommending, which should guide you in choosing the right one.
3. A blog where a variety of writers will comment on the Book of Exodus and what they’re learning from it.
4. Worksheets for leading fifteen minute Bible studies during meetings.
5. Video courses that can be used for adult forums (an internet connection is all that you’ll require).
6. A calendar of Exodus-themed events that will be held in the diocese.
Some of these resources are already up on the website. Others will be added as we get closer to the August 27 launch date.
Contact the Rev. Karl Stevens at email@example.com with any questions or suggestions for ways of improving our plans and making the Exodus Big Read even better!